I feel a little better today. Thank you ladies :)
I was looking around the house today and honestly, it doesn't look bad at all. I must of been having anxiety again last night. LOL The only thing that needs to be done is a quick sweep and mop. I did the dishes and a load of laundry and it already looks better. I'm just freaking out about everyone else seeing my home and frankly, you are all right. It shouldn't matter about my home and the people that come will help if I need it. The main focus is the babies. And they are going to be here in 42 hours!!! 42 HOURS!!! I am so excited. Still scared of the c section but I'm sure I'll be ok. I have God with me every step of the way.
I am sitting here looking at my belly move all over the place. They have no room so when it happens, it actually hurts. LOL But that is the one thing I will miss about being pregnant. Feeling them move. I can honestly say I am so glad I will not be pregnant anymore. It has been a rough journey but it will all be worth it in two days. There are a lot of women who love being pregnant. I am not one of them. It's so hard to say that when it took me so long to conceive them. But the prize is at the end and if I have to endure pain for 38 straight weeks to get my prize, I will do that. I would do anything for my girls. They are my everything. I am just looking forward to being able to move and wear my regular clothes and finally not being asked how far along I am. That was starting to get really old. I just want to be back to normal. LOL With my babes in my arms of course.
I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the day and tomorrow will be the day I repack my hospital bag and put the car seats in. That is the part that I can not wait to do!! Yay!
I hope everyone is having a lovely day!
So here is my question all. I would love everyone to answer that have had a child. I need as much help as I can get.
1. What do I take to the hospital?
2. Tell me what to expect during and after my c section?
Kami
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


36 comments:
Hi Kami! I have no earthly idea how I came across your blog, but I've enjoyed reading it. I can't wait to see your 2 budles of joy! How exciting! Here's a website that I found to help you out.
http://www.thecradle.com/hospital_checklist
I've had 3 kiddo's, but none of them were c sections, so I'm not help there.
Enjoy your last few days!!
Amber in Oklahoma
Hi Kami! I can't help you on the C-section but I know for me I way over-packed my hospital bag (and my daughters!). We primarily kept her in hospital clothes (with a few of our own blankets here and there) while we were staying. We really only needed an outfit or two to bring her home. For myself, basic cosmetics/shampoo etc and a comfy shirt or two. I primarily used hospital stuff while I was there too, didn't want to get my own gross. A coming home outfit for me (pick one that is still maternity, you'll likely need it). The hospital really provides everything you'll need for the babies and most of what you might need for yourself. I thought I might need a book or something but I was so tired and so focused on my baby I really only took care of here and zoned out with the TV when we didn't have visitors! Good luck to you, I am sure it will all go well and you will be cuddling your little ones so soon!! :)
Chapstick, a robe, a couple nightgowns, slippers, camera, video camera, undies you don't care about, and a phone charger.
As for the c-section I found it WAY better than labor. Labor was freaking painful and to me the c-section wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Recovery wasn't as bad as I thought either, BUT getting in and out of bed the 2nd day is a killer. The first day you won't get out, but the 2nd they make you. Taking a shower feels fantastic the next day, but also rather painful, be sure DH is there to help with that. Also expect a lot of bleeding when you stand up to go to the bathroom. A really painful part is the 2nd day when they push on your belly. OUCH!!!! Also don't be afraid to ask and stay on top of the pain meds. The first day they just give them, but after that I had to ask for them and if I didn't I would be in big trouble. I would go too long without them and be in SO much pain.
HUGE HUGE thing, don't feel bad to turn people away. We had WAY too many visitors to a point where finally I just broke down because I wanted to rest. Tell most people to come see you at home, the hospital time is to rest and re-coup. Your hormones will be all over the place. For me it was hard because the boys were not in the room with us, so when some one came for a visit I would have to walk them down to see the boys, WAY too much walking, but you shouldn't have that problem. I also felt like I wanted to be with the boys all the time so I didn't get much rest in my room and then when I got home I was beat.
Sorry for the novel. Heheeheh. Sending you great thoughts, can't wait to see those beautiful girls.
I packed two sets of jammies, I got some that were made for breastfeeding and they were awesome! Also you will want slippers because after the c-section they made me walk the halls like 4 times a day! Do it! As often as you can because it really, REALLY helps after a c-section. I also packed those minature travel toiletries, for me and my hubby like toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, soap, brush, and hair dryer. I also packed just some basic makeup, tinted moisturizer, bronzer, and mascara - you at least want to look half way good for all the pics! Also, a little pair of earrings! It made me feel so much better to be showered, and have a little makeup and earrings.
That was about it for me! Oh, my laptop! Loved having that to keep everyone updated! (hint hint).
I wasn't really in that much pain after my c-section. After the stories I heard from my friends of their after delivery pain and problems....I would take a section ANY DAY! The hardest part for me was getting in and out of the bed. And, even if the baby cart is right next to the bed, I could not reach over and get my baby out, my hubby had to hand him to me and put him back.
After i came out of surgery, I had a morphine line, and I could push it every 8 minutes to get more meds. If it had been 8 minutes since my first push it would do a long Beeeeeeeep and give me more. If it hadn't been 8 minutes it would go, beep beep really quick. but i just pushed it and pushed it because they took it out the next morning. After that, I just thought they were bringing me pain meds, but they weren't. I was supposed to ask for them, so I didn't get any the second day, finally the third day, the nurse was like, honey you haven't asked for any pain meds in a while you want some? I had no idea I wasn't getting any....so ask ask ask. Or at last bring your own motrin!
ok, I think i just wrote a novel...hope I didn't overwhelm you...just remember, if you forget something or decide there is something you want, you can always send hubby for it! thats what they are there for!
April in South Carolina!
p.s. bring your own pillow! In a pillowcase other than white!
I really didn't bring to much in my suitcase. I mainly used hospital stuff for me and the babies, didn't want to use my own supplies. I'd say slippers and cosmetics and pj's if you want, i mostly stayed in the robes they provided, it was to uncomfortable to change. I just brought coming home outfits and blankets for the babies.
Ok c-section, im not going to lie, the first 2-3days is quite uncomfortable. Definitly keep up on the pain meds, tell your nurse you want them when ever you can get them. You will be confined to bed the 1st day and your hubby will have to take care of the babies. Getting outta bed on day 2sucks and don't be surprised at the amount of blood in the toilet(i freaked out). You loose all humility they will be coming in changing your pads for you and squirting you down with a squirt bottle and cleaning your "area". Hmm if i think of more i'll comment again!
oh and you might shake the entire time your having the c-section, i did and it took a few hours before it stopped...don't be scared of the spinal it didn't hurt at all
Hi Kami! Good luck and congrats! I came across your blog a few months back and have enjoyed following along. As for what to bring...I agree with the comments you've gotten so far. Also, I bought a cheap pair of BLACK cotton pants (Hanes, I think)from Target to wear while I was in the hospital after my c-section. You'll bleed like crazy and this way, I had pants on if people stopped by unexpectedly (they will). They were so cheap that I just threw them away when we left (and they'd been bled onto). Expect it to be really, really difficult to stand up and move around on the second day after surgery. Getting up out of bed was hard-- make sure someone is there to help you do it slowly. Wear lots of elastic or drawstring pants so you don't irritate your incision area. Okay, I think that's it for now :) Good luck!
Mindy
Hi! I found your blog a few weeks ago... Congrats on those babies and carrying them so far!
I had two c-sections and they were awesome! Far better than labor and the recovery is really not that bad! The first time you get up kind of sucks but after the first day, it gets better :) Better to have your stomach cut open than your vagina, that is what I say!! :) Good luck and enjoy those TINY babies... they will grow SO fast!!
Debbie from Colorado
Oh yeah---immediately after my c-section, in the recovery room, I was freezing cold and shaking violently for what felt like a really long time (ended up being abou 45 minutes). This freaked me and my husband out but they said it was normal.
I love reading your blog and can't wait to see your baby girls! I have two boys and when they were born I backed comfortable clothes for myself (pjs), etc and a diaper bag for them. I would suggest that if you are going to let the girls use a pacifier you bring them with you. I have seen to many babies fall in love with big green hospital pacifiers and they are hard for the baby to switch. Just my opinion. Also pack an extra outfit to go home, as they might have an accident! :)
Hey Kami, best of luck! Thinking of you and the girls! After my c section I had lots of shaking/shivering and they told me this was normal. They told me it is to do with the anaesthetic they use to numb you and lots of people have that side effect. The day you have it you won't feel pain as you will be numb for most of the day and not able to get out of bed. When I woke up the next morning I felt just a little sore and decided I felt well enough to try getting out of bed. Bad move! You will need help to move around and get in and out of bed for the first little while but every day when I woke up I felt a heap better and the recovery process was really fast. Can't speak highly enough of c sections. They are really brillant, nothing to be scared of and I would have another one in a heartbeat. Something else my midwife told me that I followed and it worked well, is when the nurses/doctors come around and ask you do you want some pain relief meds after the c section (they do this for several days afterwards) just say yes. Sometimes you feel great and feel tempted to not take anything but it's important to keep on top of the pain and not let it get to the stage where you feel like you want pain relief. I followed this advice and my pain was very minimal. Love ya girlfriend, all the best!
Don't take a ton to the hospital. I only needed (for me) soap, lotion, house shoes and something loose fitting to wear. For the girls, just a couple very tiny outfits each. I'd probably take a preemie and a newborn just in case. I only took 0-3 months and they were way too big. And, I know this is horrible to say but DO IT... EVERY time they wheel one of the babies in their little bed into your room, leave about 3 diapers in the bed and take the rest! We left with about 3 packages of diapers! Think how much you are paying for the hospital anyway!!!!!!! HAHA :) Take some hair bows if you want them for pics (headbands) and take the baby book so that you can fill it out. Also, if you want everyone who visits to sign something make sure you take it too.
Kamu my first daughter was born @32 weeks so I didn't even have my bags packed yet!! However once I was there my husband brought only the bare essentials! Def bring some COMFY BUTTON up pajamas, socks, all your hygiene stuff, outfits for the girls, and really that is it!
As far as the c-section, you will be numb for quite some time after the actual procedure. I kept thinking I could move and help the nurses out and at one pont in time even told them ill get out of the bed you just rest LOL! You will feel the tugging and pulling during the surgery but it will not hurt at all! It truly is just a little bit of pressure! I dont want to sugar coat the recovery because by far is it easy. The first time you get up please prepare yourself. It will be hard, it will be painful, but its more of a burning sensation. It will get better with time and the more you move around the better it gets. DO NOT REFUSE your pain meds! I did because I thought they would make me loopy, however I quickly learned I needed them every4 hours! DEF take it easy, do not be afraid to ask for help because you so deserve it! You will get used to moving around more and more as each day passes! Most Dr's leave the staples in for 1 week and do not worry they dont hurt coming out! I was terrified of that haha
GOOD LUCK and I cant wait to see pics of your little angels
Oh Kami, you are NOT alone! I hated being pregnant. I love my son to pieces, but pregnancy did NOT agree with me. As far as the hospital: honestly, the only things I brought were an outfit for me to wear home and one for Franky to wear home. They checked Franky so often that it would have been useless to dress him up while we were there. You may want to bring a pair of slippers, but while I was there I just wore a hospital gown and hospital socks. When people came to visit I stayed in my gown. As far as the c-section, just take it easy afterwards. For me, it was tough cuz I had so much energy and wanted to do so much, but I strained myself and made it worse. It will be painful, but manageable with the pain meds they give you. And honestly, you'll barely notice the pain when you're looking at your baby girls and caring for them. Sorry I wrote you a novel, but hope I helped!
I am so excited for you I can hardly wait! You will be in my thoughts and prayers all day Monday! Can't wait for the big update!!
Girlfriend, I can't believe you cooked them twins for 38 weeks! Congrats!
Everyone hit on pretty much everything. I went in for an emergency so I had no bag :( I did make DH bring the camera, extra batteries and an extra memory card! My own toothbrush and toiletries, two tubes of chapstick!! Loose, comfy clothes and true granny panties a size too big so it doesn't irritate your incision. I also had flip flops to wear because I don't do slippers and hate wearing shoes and socks but I refused to let my feet touch hospital floors.
Just take a coming home outfit for the girls, maybe a few onesies. It also helps to act poor-let the nurses take pity on you and throw in some extra formula and diapers! HAHA!
The spinal is a breeze and the shakes are soo annoying. I had to get up that evening and it was hell. My birth was "traumatic" so I was in a lot of pain. Make sure you stay on top of your meds and take it BEFORE you're in pain. It takes some time to kick in. The worst was getting up for the first time, and in the morning after laying all night. Just have hubby help you. You'll feel like you can't stand all the way up and as if your insides are trying to fall out, it's soo weird but not horrible. The more you move the better it becomes. Think of it as your last hurdle. The "gushes" when you sit up and get up are GROSS, and having someone else "clean" you is awful.
I wish I would have let my husband shave me. If only I had known! my incision is just below my hair line and the nurse came in with the cheapest one blade razor-seriously the dollar store sells better! No water, no shaving cream just swipe! Do yourself a BIG favor and let your hubby take care of your nether regions! I walked around for 6 weeks with a mullet on my lady business! HORRIBLE!
Oh, and don't be afraid to get your staples out before you leave. I totally freaked out and it didn't hurt at all. They just pop out and you hardly feel it. It's seriously a breeze, just like getting your brows plucked!
I wish you the best! This is going to be such a wonderful experience for you both! I can't wait to meet them and hear how their older sisters reacted! This is all too precious. Enjoy your last day. Don't forget the baby book for feet stamping!! I wish we had had ours!
You are awesome for making it to 38 weeks! Best of luck to you and your girls and your hubby too! It's going to be amazing to meet them!
Tiffany in Missouri
Oh Kami, I can't wait to read on hear that you had the babes!!! You will be in my prayers Monday! As for the c-section, expect to be NERVOUS, I was a nervous wreck walking down to the OR, but once your spinal is in...it's a breeze from there. I had a couple issues w/my anesthesia but that's not normal...so I won't go into that. Recovery for me was about 45 minutes where they only allowed 1 other adult in the room w/me (this was hard for my mom b/c she wanted to be in there, but obviously Dan was in there with me). They got me out of bed that evening...not fun, but certainly they give you lots of help...and the bed does all but sit up for you, so there's not a lot of ab muscle work involved! You'll be so surprised how quickly you will heal. Obviously, you'll be sore for a bit, but you will get along pretty well!
Blessings!!!
take AN IPOD FOR YOUR SANITY.
bad roomates, stink!
take 3 outfits for each girl, for pictures sake.
do not take anything with a waist. jeans, etc. Sweats or Yoga wear are fantastic. (ive had both kinds of csections)
everyone has great suggestions, but if you have some of your own towels, you may like them better ( fabric softener) for your sensitive areas. Also, if your going in, shower ahead of time...before the cutoff of course, because it will be the grossest 48 hours of your life after the csection, feeling icky b/c the scar line needs to heal before a shower.
You have gone down the IVF road, so like me, you've lost all sense of modesty. Dont let the comments scare you. Yes you will be gross, yes you will barely be able to move the first 2 days, but when the nurses ( awesome ladies ) come in and clean you and change your pads, i welcomed it. Mine were super sweet, very professional and i finally felt cleaned up and not so squishy disgusting. I couldnt do it, so i was glad that they could. dont be suprised if you puke allot. I know i did on all of my csections.
i too had the violent shaking/ shivering. i had 2 general and one spinal anesthesia.
IF YOU HAVE A SPORTS BRA BRING IT
and the second you are able to, after surgery, forsaking everything else put the thing on.
in my twin csection, (i had momo twins, lots of blood loss, etc..) they gave me an entire bag of oxytocin. I was knocked out. When i woke up, i felt like i couldnt breathe because my boobs had gone from a d to an f and split up the sides ( 30+ sutures, ahh ignorant male doctors) because oxytocin stimulates milk production, and being pregnant with twins, i was on a hormonal holiday. My nurse informed me that I should have been wrapped, but i wasnt, and reccomended that round 2 i have a sports bra for said situation.
best advice, ever. totally works.
also, let the nurses do the carseats, they are professionals, and why stress yourself right?
also, if your nurses rock, you can get them to stamp the girls feet onto daddys scrubs and then he can keep them. (or his hat too...)
we have his hat from all my deliveries.
and def, DEF!!! let the hubbster shave you!! mine was done in motion the first time and there was blood, and the second time was against the grain and had lots of ingrown hairs.... let him take the time and help you out.
good luck!
I would say bring your own pads and make sure you have enough for when you get home. You'll need 'em.
Make sure hubby has all the important phone numbers in his cell phone to call after the girl's arrive.
I would also see if he has a little spiral (I mean the hand size) notebook. Then he can write down times and what happened. You'll want to remember.
Last, but not least...DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT leave the hospital without them giving you a "stool softener."
It happened to my sister (they forget...she didn't know to ask) and it was horrible when she got home. I'll leave it at that. :)
God bless, sister!
Kami, I read through the comments and think that all the advice on C-sections are great. I have two things to add... lay back and enjoy it - take it all in. And the second thing I learned after my fist C-section from one of my nurses at the hospital (the nurses are AWESOME, by the way) - you may have some air trapped in your body after the surgery. An old remedy is to mix half apple juice and half 7-up in a mug and microwave until warm, stir, and drink! It makes you feel sooooo good and helps that trapped air that can cause pain all over your body. I've used it through two C-sections.
Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures.
i just had my baby wednesday at 1136 pm...i packed my bag wednesday night (while i was contracting@ i wouldnt suggest to wait that long@)
...be sure to bring your camera, cell phone, and i used my lap top (and all the chargers for the things). money for your husband to eat in cafeteria. slippers to walk in (hospital floors are funky). i brought my bathroom stuff (tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion) but they do have all that if you forget yours, hair dryer, a little makeup, hair tie, picture outfit for the baby, and going home outfit for you and baby. i also brought a note book and used it as a journal....to write down the birth story and how i was feeling at that moment...and to keep track of visitors (or bring your baby book, i dont have one yet)....i brought a magazine, never opened it! install your carseats. bring your insurance card, drivers license, and pediatrician info (name and #). i think thats it. i hope it helps.
as far as the c/section, i did not have one, but i am a mother baby nurse...take your pain meds! and do walk like they suggest...the more you walk, the better you will feel! and yes, dont be afraid of the removal of the staples, its no big deal!
cant wait!
Kami, You have done such an awesome job carrying your twins:) I just found out we are expecting again. Praying for my Betas to be really good.
The C-Section... After I was numbed, I got really hot and for a second felt as if I could not catch my breath. Luckily I had been told this could happen and I just told myself I would be ok and to breathe. It was over in no time. I think it was just the initial numbing. I also got up as soon as I could, It helps work out the soreness. I also had stinging really bad. It will usually only be on one side.
Hospital Bag... Camera, Extra charged batteries, Toothpaste, ToothBrush, Lasinoh Breast Cream, Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash. Hair Dryer, Brush, Socks and House Shoes. Coming home outfits for baby (I used this for pics too), Carseats, Blanket for use of background in pics. Nursing Bra and Pads. There is so much I am probably forgetting. Many Prayers are with you and your Blessings,
Wanted to add... I also take Gift bags to the hospital for my other children. I fix up small bags with snacks, drink and a gift. I sometimes get a coloring book, crayons, or dvd, toy etc. When they get to the hospital, I give them their bag from the baby.
Good luck honey!! It's worth EVERY minute;) You will never experience so much love. I hope your day goes as good as mine did. I'm so excited for you!!
I can't give you any advice on anything but I am praying and thinking about y'all!!!! You have my cell so please keep me updated on things (and send me a pic if you can) I am SO very happy for you and can't wait to see your beautiful angles!!!
Love ya sweet friend!
Kami, it's Monday and I'm praying and thinking about you! I hope you have a fantastic delivery and wonderful moment meeting your girls! Can't wait to hear their weights!! Great job girl! -kriss
I already commented on this post, but wanted you to know I'm thinking of and praying for you and the girls today!!! I hope everything goes smoothly and that you have the best day ever meeting your beautiful girls. Can't wait to hear all about it! ((HUGS))
Just wanted you to know we're thinking of ypu on this most special of days! Hopefully you (or DH) can get an update to us soon to end the suspense... Love and kisses to you all!
I haven't had a c section but as far as what to take, my youngest is 8 so from what I remember, slippers, a robe,camera,shampoo that kind of stuff, pajamas, your own pillow, candles if they will let you, a couple outfits and blankets for the girls.
Hey there sweetie! Just letting you know that I'm anxiously awaiting an update from you! I hope all is going well. I'm sure right now you are falling in love with your girls every minute that passes.
Kami,
By now I hope Samantha and Mia are in your arms and your loving every minute of cuddling them in your arms! Looking forward to an update... Wishing you Steve and all four girls in your family the absolute best.
Hugs and Congrats,
Stacy C.
Wanted to let you girls know that Kami and the girls are doing great. I know some of you are awaiting her post but I just wanted to let you know that they are here and healthy. Kami is doing great too.
anyone heard about Kami, Sam and Mia?I am going CRAZY not knowing!
**READ ME***
I know you all are going crazy about Kami but I've talked to her and Steve today and they are all healthy and doing well.
Post a Comment